Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Viva Knievel!

At first glance, I just these were just drawings of motorcyclists, until a closer examination made me realize that the upper right-hand panel is a depiction of Evel Knievel's unsuccessful Snake River Canyon jump on Sept. 8th, 1974. The other panels show other things Evel likes to do: pop wheelies, stand up on the seat,or ride a chopper (I don't think those are supposed to be ape hangers...I just couldn't draw motorcycles very well). Like most 6-year old Americans that year, I admired Knievel, but my real interest in him was less as a person than as a toy (the Six Million Dollar Man kinda falls into that category, too). As such, his later fall from grace didn't really affect me that much...though I never bought any of the reconfigured toys when they came back as "Team America." I owed him that much, I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i kinda thought they look like snowmen on bikes- but i guess they don't have the requisite three sphere bodies & i guess snowpeople don't usually have such long legs.....

snoweviel knievel!

winkdinkdog